wholesale market
  Market Development
 


Our Long History of Fresh Produce

962 First authorization to hold a market in the northern part of Germany, granted by Archbishop Adaldag (936–988).
 
1628 Several times the middlemen are expressly rejected as “pushing prices up”.
 
1696 – 1721 The consumers are obliged to purchase directly from the producer.
 
1823 Senator Abendroth advocates middlemen.
 
1842 Following the Great Fire of Hamburg the farmers from the Elbe marshlands have to move the fruit and vegetable market to the Hopfenmarkt (hop market). There are 319 stalls, each of which costs 8 Pfennigs to rent for a day. Every weekday two markets are held.
 
1889 The fruit and vegetable market on the Hopfenmarkt is extended by demolishing the fountain, the booths belonging to the butchers’ guild “Schlachterbrüderschaft vom Neuen Schrangen” and by excavating cellars under the market area.
 
1894 New sellers are given permission to trade at Hopfenmarkt.
 
1907 A provisional market place with landing jetties is set up between Meßberg, Deichtor and the old bridge called Alte Wandrahmsbrücke.
 
1911 The old markets at Hopfenmarkt and Meßberg are closed and the new Deichtor market opened.
 
1947 The Senate passes a resolution to relocate the Deichtor market to Hammerbrook.
 
1953 Law passed on the implementation plan for Hammerbrook designating area for the new fruit and vegetable market.
 
1954 The Senate presents to the (Lower) House of Burgesses the overall plans for the new market at Hammerbrook. The “Veiling Hamburg” (Dutch Auction) is opened on the new site in Hammerbrook.
 
1955 Winner of the competition for the design of the central wholesale market area is selected.
 
1956 The House of Burgesses passes a resolution on the market plans and the construction of the wholesale market hall.
 
1958 Construction is started on the wholesale market hall.
 
1962 The new wholesale market is opened. The Deichtor market is closed and Deichtor square redeveloped as a major road intersection. The wholesale flower market moves into the Deichtor Halls.
 
1979 Purchase of the site on Lippelt road from the Deutsche Bundesbahn in order to extend the wholesale market.
 
1981 / 1982 Senate and House of Burgesses decide to relocate the wholesale flower market to the wholesale market site.
 
1982 Construction work starts on the extension of the wholesale market hall to house the wholesale flower market.
 
1984 The new wholesale flower market is opened. The flower market in the Deichtor Halls is closed.
 
1994 The Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg promises the companies operating in Hamburg Wholesale Market that no further relocation will be made during the next 30 years.
 
1996 The hall, one of Hamburg’s and probably of Germany’s most significant concrete shell structures, is listed as a preserved monument.
 
2002 The Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg decides to keep Hamburg Wholesale Market on the present site until 2034.
 
2006 In cooperation with “Der Feinschmecker” magazine the first Food Market is held in the wholesale market hall.
 
2008 Hamburg Wholesale Market wins the WUWM “Innovation Award“.
 
2009 Extensive refurbishment work begins.
 
2010 Refurbishment of wholesale market hall’s concrete structures completed (ceiling, façade).
 
2011 Refurbishments continue.
 
2012 50th anniversary of the move to Hammerbrook. The Senate waives its special termination right to confirm its guarantee that the present location is secure until 2034.
 
2013/2014 Mehr! Theater Hamburg GmbH builds a multi-functional theatre on a 4,000-square-metre section of the wholesale market hall.



  partners and sponsors
  Quicklinks
 » Firms
 » Range
 » News
 » Press